Tuesday, July 22, 2008

44 Scotland Street

44 Scotland Street was originally written as a serial for an Edinburgh newspaper in small daily installments. The first book in a trilogy that centers around the eclectic tenants of 44 Scotland Street; their thoughts, their relationships, and their lives. There is Pat, a twenty-something in her second-gap year looking for love, passion and life; Bruce her narcissistic flatmate; Domenica who lives across the hall providing friendship and humour; the Pollock family who live below Irene who has her very own thoughts about child rearing, Bertie aged 5 and trying to be heard, and Stuart a father and husband who has no voice or chance.

I enjoyed the book, but found I had to keep reminding myself that it was written as a serial. Once I adjusted to the pace of the story I really enjoyed the characters and their adventures. I loved little Bertie, the boy believed to be gifted and pushed to learn Italian and saxophone against his wishes. If only someone would talk to the boy. I look forward to reading the second and third book in the trilogy.

No comments: