Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Human Stain

Philip Roth uses Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky and his possible impeachment for this American tale of blurring lines. Through Nathan Zuckerman, a novelist who lives outside of a small college community, we learn of Coleman Silk. Silk was a Dean at a New England University returns to teaching only to be forced out due to an off the cuff comment which was viewed as a racial slur by a few of his students. Zuckerman explores his friendship with Silk, Silk's spiral out of control upon leaving Athena College, his relationship with a 34 year old caretaker, and the skeletons in Silk's closet.

When I first began reading this book, I thought I was going to enjoy it, but I began to lose interest in the characters very quickly. I could not understand Coleman Silk, or his life decisions. I still find myself shaking my head at times.

No comments: