Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Book Review: The Night Shift

Dr. Brian Goldman has been an emergency room practitioner for decades. That alone, makes him remarkable, however, on top of his dedication to medical emergencies, he also prefers the night shift. In The Night Shift Dr. Goldman shares stories of cases during his twenty years in the Emergency Room at Mount Sinai Hospital in downtown Toronto.

What I loved best about the book is Dr. Goldman's ability as an author to intersperse factoids about the stark realities of the medical field with humane stories while also balancing respect, empathy, humour and truth. As one who reads non fiction rarely, and if I do it is generally around education, I started the book with a little trepidation. I was surprised at how much I truly enjoyed this book.

No comments: